Cinnamon or “dalchini” (as it is called in Hindi) is a spice obtained from the inner bark of the tree genus ‘Cinnamomum’ whose bark is known for the healing essential oils generated. There are amazing Benefits of Cinnamon for Skin and Hair.The spice has been used for centuries in Ayurvedic and Chinese medicine to cure main ailments like cancer, flu and indigestion. The fragrant spice contains fiber, manganese, calcium and iron and is commonly used in many food dishes. What not too many people know is that this fragrant spice also possesses properties to cure many skin, health and hair problems.
Skin Benefits of Cinnamon
Cinnamon contains anti – microbial properties that can benefit the skin. Find out more about how this humble spice can help purify and clear your skin without the need of expensive spa and salon treatments.
Cures Acne, Pimples and Blemishes
Cinnamon helps get rid of acne and pimples on the face and body. This is done by drying the skin and bringing blood and oxygen to the outer skin surface.
- A simple to make recipe includes mixing 3 tbsp honey with 1 tbsp cinnamon.
- Apply the paste on the affected areas and leave it overnight.
- Alternatively, leave it on for 20 minutes before washing with water. Repeat next week
Soothes Dry Skin
Cinnamon helps remove dead skin cells, and help restore shine and suppleness to the skin. Make a scrub by combining sea salt, almond oil, olive oil, honey and cinnamon to fight skin dryness.
Thanks to the anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties, cinnamon helps enhance the complexion.
- Puree a small banana, plain yoghurt, ground cinnamon and lemon juice and mix them in a smooth paste. Apply to a clean face and leave it on for 15 minutes before washing with lukewarm water.
- Relieve Eczema: Make a mixture of 1 tsp. honey and 1 tsp. cinnamon.
- Apply a thin layer of the paste on the affected areas. For best results, continue the remedy for a week.
Alleviates Fine Lines
Cinnamon improves blood flow and brings the oxygen and blood to the outer surface of the skin and this causes minor plumping and a fuller complexion.
Prepare the remedy by mixing a couple of drops of cinnamon essential oil and petroleum jelly and apply it all over the face, avoiding the eye area.
Prevents Skin Infections and Cures Cuts and Wounds
For any kind of skin infection, make a paste of honey and cinnamon powder in equal proportions and apply it to the affected area. Cinnamon is also known to cure ringworms. Moreover, to cure cuts and wounds, simply dust some cinnamon powder to kill germs and heal it quickly.
Treats Rough Feet
Cinnamon can soften rough and dry skin due to its rich anti-oxidant properties.
- Prepare a footbath by mixing the juice of five lemons, a tablespoon of olive oil, quarter-cup whole milk, half-cup water and 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon.
- Soak the feet in this bath for 15 minutes for soft and smooth feet.
Hair Benefits of Cinnamon
Since ancient days, cinnamon has been a valued spice for making hair strong and beautiful. Cinnamon ensures enhanced blood circulation in the body, which ensures hair roots and scalp to get the required nutrition, and oxygen, which leads to strong, beautiful and healthy hair.
Stimulates Hair Growth
Your hair will love the combination of honey and cinnamon. Use the hair mask once every week for best results.
- Combine a teaspoon of ground cinnamon, a teaspoon of honey, a tablespoon of olive oil and an egg.
- Apply the mask to the hair and leave it on for 20 minutes before washing it off thoroughly with a mild shampoo.